Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A new kind of spam

Sare jahan se acha…as the patriotic ring tone filled the air of the office space; I grasped my phone with excitement and vigor hoping that the call would be from a friend. As the phone reached my ear, a loud song in the language of Kannada pierced my eardrums. Now I love songs as much as the next person, and was thus surprised to hear a song followed by an offer to buy something. We all get spam messages in our email accounts but India seems to have gone a step further.

While the first time I was surprised by the ingenuity in pushing spam through this medium, the incessant messages now come through every few days; thankfully the song is different but I cannot follow along. If this is not enough there are random text messages that attempt to sell you products or even bring you closer to god..for a fee of course. The relative cheap prices of text messages combined with the dictum that all incoming calls are free has resulted in all sorts of spam messages that arrive by phone, including my future and dating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust Indians to take entrepreneurialism to new heights with your fave songs and lures of heaven.