Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Running Man

Thump, Thump! My feet beared the weight of my body as I pushed them forward in one last attempt.

The day had started out well. Bangalore’s weather is a curious mixture of overcast that may turn into rain, oscillated by sudden sunshine in patches during the day. This makes for a cool day, far easier than the heat of Delhi and the north . The walk from where I live to the bus station is an interesting one. Down three flights of stairs through an alleyway to a smaller street where bikes, autos and cars wiz past small shops. If one were to ignore the shops, animals and pedestrians and just look at the speed of the vehicles they would think of it as a mini-highway. The traffic for its part seamlessly blends through the crowds, coming as close to touching the sleeve but effortlessly passing through with the horns leaving a trail of their journey.

Next comes an interestion to the main road; in a 100 meters the main road it self gets to a bigger intersection with the west gate of Lal Bagh facing it. A little walk away is the bus station where buses slow down or stop depending on the number of passengers.

Coming through all these roads, I saw the bus inch away from the station as I turned the corner. While another bus would be on its way soon, this particular one would take me closest to the destination. With this in mind I decided to run to catch the bus.

As the bus increased momentum so did I. As a activity, running in India without any form of athletic event is always a subject of curiosity. As my feet went forward many eyes also followed me and my hopes. I could not tell if I was getting closer to the bus or not. The driver also did something unexpected, he opened the doors but at the same time kept his speed. It was the ultimate mixed message. For their part the some passengers also showing interest were now looking at me. With a last jolt of energy I got to the bus, caught a bar and after getting one foot in, pulled myself into the bus. As I looked around at the faces the conductor came and nonchalantly asked for my ticket. As the rest of the passengers smiled at this feat, or entertainment they had been provided, the conductor also let out a smile. Even in an ordinary action there was camaraderie and happiness. Another day in the life of India :)

No comments: