Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Random Check

There are very few things as enjoyable as making someone laugh or smile. This merriment or happiness has an infectious quality as it not only places the person at ease but also gives a inward feeling of joy. A marvelous feeling indeed. When I remember happy times there is always someone in them that had a laugh or smile on their face. That I can sometimes make others laugh makes me happy as well.

"How does the hair look from the back", I whispered slowly, careful not to make a scene. A lady walking past, heard this and desperately attempted to control her laughter as I smirked at her and the situation. The officer paused but continued to examine my hair. I was standing at the security line of Vancouver International Airport (YVR) where I was told that I was "randomly" selected for a more rigorous checking. I of course had no problem with this and adhered to the instructions. The search may be considered intrusive by western standards with each centimeter of ones clothes, especially folds and buttons being carefully examined. When the officer started examining my head and hair from the back, I could not hold the comment, for the search had now become an exercise in achieving Pyrrhic victory. I could not help but think what could he find there other than a combination of coconut oil and gel, and if that was considered now to be a "dangerous mixture" capable of inflicting damage.

Soon it was over and my bags were also properly searched. As one can imagine, nothing of interest was found in them. Making my way to the gate, I was greeted by two security personnel who with great interest asked my name. After I told them they nodded and went on their way. As they walked away I thought about my name. What does it signify. It was given by my grandmother and I have always kept it in its entirety with no short forms. Living in India especially Mumbai and Delhi I know that a person finds religion in a name; in Punjab they find caste. Whatever they were looking for, I will not know, but by now everyone else was looking at me and no one is smiling or laughing.

No comments: