Sunday, October 5, 2008

A new beginning

I read somewhere that flashbacks are common to ex-prisoners, police officers, hospital workers, soldiers and others that see and experience trauma. Sometimes it is so sudden that one loses focus of where they are. In the last month I have found myself reflecting on the children and people I have met in India. I think of the million of dreams that are born in that country and at the same time the millions of dreams that die as well. The country is a streaming and sweltering place for the creation of dreams.

Sometimes India has fulfilled my dreams to bring change, and sometimes she has turned it to dust. There are some good, some bad and some very sad memories. But in the dying embers glimmers hope, like shimmering gold after it has gone through fire. It’s the hope India offers that makes me love the country. Spending my time working amongst the hopeful in this country and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than being here yet it has also left me wanting to continue the work after my return.

A part of me has wanted to turn back, with another part reminding me of the work that has to be finished here. And therein lays the dilemma. Slowly over the last month I have adjusted to my new denizen and plan for the future. People constantly seek solace in gods. But I have found my saints, angels and gods in the people around me who help me fit in again.

No comments: