Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bhutta

The onlooker’s eyes were one of curiosity. As I stood relaxed, the man visibly ambivalent of what he should do took another step forward. Realizing his predicament I thought why not take on this role as well. Reveling in precision I lifted the corn and flicked it up in the air.

Standing at the bus station after the end of the work, I awaited my bus to Lalbagh only to be drawn away by the roasting smell of corn. My eyes found the stall located towards the end of the bus stop and I made my way to the vendor. With the green leafs pealed, the vendor roasted bright yellow sweet corn in a large metal bowl with ember coals. The husked corn cob was roasted until about half the kernels were blackened. When a customer came he would warm it by placing it on the coals, frantically fanning the cart-top coal fire, and finishing with a dressing of squeezed lime and chilly powder which were rubbed on the kernels.

With gleam I purchased the corn on the cob or ‘bhutta’ giving the vendor a 20 rupee note. As he did not have the right change, he asked the coconut vendor beside him with no avail. Still determined he crossed the busy street leaving me standing at the stall. It was a busy time of day and crossing the road, would take time. Left at the stall I placed my hot bhutta on the husked leaves and rested with ease. With my frame and dressing style it could be confusing if I was the vendor or another customer. When the aforementioned person in the beginning of the narrative made his way towards me I thought why not.

In a jocose manner I took my corn sitting on the stall with style, flicked it in the air and caught it and chomped down on some kernels before placing it back on the stall. Taking charge I told the customer in Hindi that the smaller corns were 7 rupees and the larger ones were 8. Than I proceeded to show him the difference and told him that the quality was quite good. The man still confused by my visage and role thought about what to do while I nonchalantly ate again. As the customer made his choice the vendor returned to see my in my new role. Both impressed and happy by my proprietorship gave a smile and my change. I said goodbye and headed to my bus while the customer even more confused now attempted to understand who exactly I was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice concrete description, makes you visualize being there.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your ability to describe your social interactions with the citizens of India, rather than about them. I am impressed that you do not detach yourself from the experience, but provide interesting observations from meeting different people that are not necessarily high status or prominent. Your ability to engage and appreciate day to day interactions is remarkable. Please keep posting. I feel like you do not provide a tourist objectified perspective, but rather eloquently comment on the real people of India. Thank you Kulwindar.