Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday

A six day work week results in Sunday becoming the crux of relaxation in India. I took the day at home to do both reading and work on my assignments albeit with a few naps in between. As the morning lingered on, to overcome the surge of unneeded sleep, I went downstairs to read the paper and perhaps watch television. Sitting down on the couch my hand found the soft buttons of the remote and my eyes were pulled into the world of Bollywood. The choices on television would all but amaze the novice viewer, serials ranging from mythic stories of gods to the constant zoom in/outs and sound effects of Saas bahu serials (Indian term for familial shows). Furthermore there are films in every language from every era readily available with a special space for Amitabh Bachchan (Indian superstar) of course. As seen from my Facebook posts even the ads are so funny and poignant that one does not feel limited or frustrated. If Hindi or any other language is not preferred there are always English movies as well. My favourites are English movies and cartoons that have been dubbed over in crisp and strong Hindi. Even an action movie will bring you to tears of joy after seeing the vernacular diction and complex language allocated to a Slyvester Stallone movie.

In the evening I ventured out to the adjourning street near Lalbagh west gate to recharge my prepaid Airtel mobile phone. With the street full of Airtel shops, I projected this to be a menial errand. As Anindya and I made a walk with every store, we found that the relaxed mood I had mentioned; the vendor was either unaware of the recharge details or was out for some reason. The zenith was when we were informed that the vendor of an Airtel shop had gone to get a recharge for his phone that was from Reliance (another mobile company). As this was too odd I gesticulated with my hands and asked the store assistant “so the owner uses another phone company yet he sells Airtel..theek hai..theek hai”. As he smiled at my predicament we walked off and finally found a small shop near the temple.

Operated by a husband and wife the shop had all the requisite posters and information for a phone plan. The shop was demarcated with a thin wall that concealed a room that was blaring in action sounds, easily markings of a Kannada movie. Any question we asked about phones was repeated in a higher tone, with an answer coming from the room within a few seconds. Their understanding perhaps constrained by the minute details of every offer readily relegated questions for answers. The voice clearly aggrieved by the requests that was delaying his viewing experience was sparse and direct with a snappy reply. After asking a handful of questions my attention peaked about this elusive figure with a dearth of knowledge.

As my forehead cringed after the last question, the wife informed me with candor that the movie had everyone’s attention. Unable to take the incessant questions the door finally opened and I expected to see a copious figure who had attained knowledge of the business through years of working in the phone business; what I saw instead was a boy around 16 or 17 with a hat pushed back like Himesh Reshammiya (Indian singer/actor known for his nasal singing style). With celerity of hand and sangfroid nature he took the phone and answered the questions with an imperturbable voice.

In a jovial spirit myself I immediately asked Anindya in Hindi to apologize for we had clearly disturbed his movie watching experience with the burden of coming to this store. Enlivened by this gesture of offering my condolences for missing the movie, the wife and husband laughed loudly while the boy multitasked between the movie and opening Anindya’s phone. Happy that I also loved movies the boy and I talked for a minute about the film after which I sought my departure, waving again at the chips store on my way back with Sunday coming to an end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that TV watching itself was an experience especially those English films dubbed in Hindi...and those Airtel people. I'm sure I got ripped off once.