Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Take a right and than a left

The place I work at is located in Jayanagar 4th Block and 6th Main. Though now I can proclaim to know the place with certainty, getting directions in India is always an adventure. One cannot get to their destination without the kindness of strangers; asking everyone from the person walking beside you to the car that is sharing that uncomfortably close space to you as you wait at the light. With a plethora of buildings and populous, one finds their destination with the help of markers and buildings (near the west gate, or opposite Barista). This search sometimes even results in conflicting directions that leads to finding a third person who fulfills the role of a tie-breaker (this happened on the first day we had to find our office).

As everyone faces this problem getting assistance with directions is never a major problem, with the only obstacle when someone advises that the place is so close that walking would be best. This often results in a walk for a few kilometers for the novice who is not used to Indian walking. As I do not mind walking, traveling to new places is always an adventure like no other.

I have found myself being asked for directions many a times. Even on the day I arrived in the country I was giving directions in Delhi to someone who had to reach Munirka Vihar, which I was able to happily fulfill as I was accustomed to the area. My friend told me that it was due to my unassuming nature and trustworthy face as I always look like I am about to smile. I am not sure if I believe that or not, but we do what we can. Now if I can only figure out shortcuts as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One word...googlemaps :)
Interesting blog.