Thursday, July 17, 2008

Time

At a young age, we have difficulty adhering to it, in our youth and prime years we race against it struggling to meet deadlines and commitments, and when old we find it very difficult to pass by. ‘Time’ has always been an elusive concept for it shapes and controls much of what we do. We hold people who have mastered it and those who have withdrawn from its everyday constraints with great respect. Much has been written about it by great writers but like the concept of ‘love’ it is never fully understood with every generation giving its own interpretations. There is even a condition where the patient fears 'time' itself known as chronophobia.

Like everyone else I too attempt to follow time and balance the thin line between adhering to schedules and following it religiously. While we can avoid it at some spheres, in the working world our schedules are dictated by the concept of time. I remember in a young age my father telling me a story about my grandfather. Working in colonial India my grandfather reported to work a little earlier than his starting time on a daily basis. A believer in punctuality and any unexpected occurrences on the way, he accounted for the unexpected in order to reach work on time. Aware of this ideal, when on a particular day when a higher ranking person did not show up on time, the supervisor who needed the work started, promoted my grandfather and asked him to take on this new role.

My father told me this story with pride as he too was a ardent follower of time especially when it came to work. We know now that when it comes to working, with the advent of technology and work ethics, tasks can be completed based on style and speed. However there is still respect allocated for timeliness.

In India today, the concept of time is hard to follow for many. Try making any appointment or going to an office on time and you will find yourself waiting endlessly due to a plethora of reasons ranging from late meetings to traffic woes. Regardless of this I have made a habit to come to work on time and leave when the office closes. I never thought of this as any sort of achievement but just adhering to a schedule. As I have work related to both UNICEF and my university I also have not taken any days off or trips though it is allowed. With my teammates in Delhi and Kerala I sat in the office researching in the afternoon.

Imagine my surprise and shock when I was called to the head office and suddenly introduced to guests both from the NGO sector and UNICEF. After introductions the director of the NGO (who I have only have had limited conversation with) and other staff lauded for my ability to come on time and maintaining discipline in schedule. Not used to receiving compliments it was a truly humbling experience that I could be held in high regard for following time and being there. It was awkward yet rewarding as I thought about how happy my mother would have been.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your finest yet. A great beginning, touching ending and you combine the personal, particular and philosophical to give us a sense of what the idea of "time" is in India today.

Anonymous said...

Your commentary leaves much to ponder. Thank you for echoing some of my sentiments through a wonderfully touching narrative.

Anonymous said...

Randeep - what do you mean when you suggest the "particular"? I can only vaguely recall from class that the term has significance in some way. Please enlighten me!